Which python version do I use with "virtualenv"?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu May 7 10:52:49 EDT 2009

Krishnakant wrote:

> I have another question in this same context.
> I have python 2.6 and want to set up a vertualenv
> in /opt/turbogears/python2.5.
> Then use this for all the things a turbogears based application would
> need for project execution.
>
> so I have decided that I will download python 2.5 and compile it
> with ./configure --prefix=/opt/turbogears/python2.5 and then install
> turbogears.  Is this possible?  will this kind of python compilation
> help me to create a vertualenv in the place where I have python2.5?

You are confusing virtualenv with a custom-build python. You can of course
use VE with a custom-build python, but then there isn't as much use for it,
as you then have a distinct python-instance already - unless you are going
to share it amongst projects, which then leads to the question why you
don't use VE *without* the custom-build python.

> or is there any other way to do this?  I really need vertualenv and
> would want to use python2.5 because I feel easy install won't work with
> python2.6

Feelings are a fine thing in bed, on weddings or other social contexts.
Usually, they don't belong in the more mundane world of computers, and in
this case it's an outright wrong feeling. Easy_install works just fine with
py2.6

It might be though that there are some 3rd-party-libs that don't.

Diez