Which C compiler?

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Mon May 18 17:53:54 EDT 2009

On 5/18/2009 1:27 PM Jive Dadson said...

> I love Python, but the update regimen is very frustrating.  It's a
> misery to me why every major release requires new versions of so much
> application stuff.  No other software that I use is like that.  When I
> upgrade Windoze, I do not have to get new matching versions of all my
> editors, browsers, and whatnot.  But Python makes me do that, and that's
> why I am stuck on release 2.4.  Even the pure Python stuff needs to be
> copied from one "site-packages" to another.  Then I have to figure out
> why it won't work.  I have fought my way through the upgrade path twice,
> and I just can't face it again.
>
> Thus endeth the rant.

Hmm.. I support python versions ranging from 1.52 though 2.6 on some
40-50 production systems and don't have an issue with upgrades.  First,
once I stabilize a production system it doesn't get upgrades anymore
unless the machine breaks or the application specs change to the point
where upgrade is better than maintaining.  Second, when setting up a new
system I always start with the freshest versions of things (barring
python 3.x which I haven't yet put in a production environment).

Upgrading because newer is available has been a problem as long as
upgrades have been available.  Just this month some system snuck by me
with windows update enabled only to have microsofts auto-update break
the applications.

Just say no to updates...

Emile