elementtree XML() unicode

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Thu Nov 5 16:18:39 EST 2009

On Nov 5, 12:35 am, Stefan Behnel <stefan... at behnel.de> wrote:
> John Machin, 04.11.2009 02:56:
>
> > On Nov 4, 12:14 pm, Kee Nethery wrote:
> >> The reason I am confused is that getResponse2 is classified as an
> >> "str" in the Komodo IDE. I want to make sure I don't lose the non-
> >> ASCII characters coming from the URL.
>
> > str is all about 8-bit bytes.
>
> True in Py2.x, false in Py3.

And the context was 2.x.

> What you mean is the "bytes" type, which, sadly, was named "str" in Python 2.x.

What you mean is the "bytes" concept.

> The problem the OP ran into was due to the fact that Python 2.x handled
> "ASCII characters in a unicode string" <-> "ASCII encoded byte string"
> conversion behind the scenes, which lead to all sorts of trouble to loads
> of people, and was finally discarded in Python 3.0.

What you describe is the symptom. The problems are (1) 2.X ET expects
a str object but the OP supplied a unicode object, and (2) 2.X ET
didn't check that, so it accidentally "worked" provided the contents
were ASCII-only, and otherwise gave a novice-mystifying error message.