standard libraries don't behave like standard 'libraries'

Sriram Srinivasan naughtysriram at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 06:18:03 EST 2009

On Nov 12, 3:56 pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de... at nospam.web.de> wrote:
> Sriram Srinivasan schrieb:
>

> > I guess why every programming language has some kind of a 'standard
> > library' built in within it.
> > In my view it must not be called as a 'library' at all. what it does
> > is like a 'bunch of built-in programs ready-made to do stuff'.
>
> > Lets see what a 'library' does:
>
> > 1. offers books for customers
> >  1.1 lets user select a book by genre, etc
> >  1.2 lets user to use different books of same genre, etc
> >  1.3 lets user to use books by same author, etc for different genre
>
> > 2. keeps track of all the books + their genre
> >  2.1 first knows what all books it has at present
> >  2.2 when new book comes it is added to the particular shelf sorted by
> > genre,author,edition, etc.
> >  2.3 when books become old they are kept separately for future
> > reference
> >  2.4 very old books can be sent to a museum/discarded
>
> > I guess no standard library does the minimum of this but wants to be
> > called a library.
>
> > As a python user I always wanted the standard library to have such
> > features so the user/developer decides to use what set of libraries he
> > want.
>
> > consider the libraries for 2.5 ,2.6, 3K are all available to the user,
> > the user selects what he wants with something like.
>
> > use library 2.5 or use library 2.6 etc.
>
> > The 2 main things that the library management interface has to do is
> > intra library management and inter library management.
>
> > intra library mgmt- consider books to be different libraries
> > (standard, commercial, private, hobby, etc)
> > inter library mgmt- consider books to be modules inside a library
> > ( standard, commercial, private, hobby, etc)
>
> > if somehow we could accomplish this kind of mother of a all plugin/ad-
> > hoc system that is a real breakthrough.
>
> > Advantages:
>
> > 1. new modules can be added to the stream quickly
> > 2. let the user select what he want to do
> > 3. modules (that interdepend on each other) can be packed into small
> > distribution and added to the stream quickly without waiting for new
> > releases
> > 4. solution to problems like py 2.x and 3.x
> > 5. users can be up to date
> > 6. documentation becomes easy + elaborate to users
> > 7. bug managing is easy too
> > 8. more feed back
> > 9. testing also becomes easy
> > 10. many more , i don't know.. you have to find.
>
> > Python already has some thing like that __future__ stuff. but my
> > question is how many people know that? and how many use that? most of
> > them wait until old crust gets totally removed. that is bad for user
> > and python. that is why problems like py2.x py3.x originate. If there
> > is a newer book collection it must always be available at the library.
> > i must not go to another library to get that book.
>
> You are greatly oversimplifying things, and ignoring a *lot* of issues
> here. The reason for __future__ is that it can *break* things if new
> [...]

I don't know if you have used Dev-C++.<http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/
packages/index.html> It has a 'package management' mechanism for the
standard libraries.
please see the <http://devpaks.org/> webpage where all the packaged
libraries are stored.

In python we have the PyPI which is equivalent to the http://devpacks.org
but in PyPI the packages are mostly user made applications.
What I want is similar to PyPI but for the python standard libraries,
so that they (libraries) are as add-on as possible.
check this out too.. <http://molhanec.net/devcpphelp/packages.php>

I guess you understand what I am thinking... and do pardon my english
too..

--

Regards,
Sriram.