map

Hendrik van Rooyen hendrik at microcorp.co.za
Thu Sep 3 01:41:46 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 02 September 2009 09:38:20 elsa wrote:

> in my own defense - firstly, I was able to implement what I wanted to
> do with loops, and I used this to solve the problem I needed to.

My rant was not intended as a personal attack - far from it - if all the
people on this list were to post such clear questions as you did, it would be
an even greater pleasure to participate in than it is.

> However, by asking *why* map didn't work, I now understand how map
> works, what contexts it may indeed be useful for, and what the
> alternatives are. To boot, you have all given me about 10 different
> ways of solving the problem, some of which use prettier (and probably
> faster) code than the loops I wrote...

Good. So you will soon be here answering questions too.  When you do that, you
really learn, as long as you do not feel slighted when people point out
better (or merely different) solutions than yours.  We all help each other
here, and sometimes we even crack obscure (and not so obscure) jokes.

- Hendrik