DLLs loading in interpreter but not with direct run on Windows

JTimoty jtimoty at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 12:47:17 EDT 2010

Hi,

I've got a weird problem, apparently related to the way python
searches for DLLs on Windows.

I compiled PyQt4 (no errors) but scripts that use it fail with "DLL
load failed: Invalid access to memory location."
If I play with loading the modules inside the interpreter, I see no
errors.

Even more, if I use IDLE, running scripts fails. However, if I _first_
type "from PyQt4 import QtGui" in the python shell, the script
executes without problems.

What is the difference between these two cases? How is loading dlls
different in ( $> python script.py ) and just ( $> python )?

Thanks,
Tim.