when should I explicitly close a file?

Fri Apr 23 18:04:51 EDT 2010

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:19:41 +0200, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

> But for a literal context-free interpretation e.g. the 'sys.getrefcount'
> function is not documented as CPython only and thus an implementation
> that didn't do reference counting would not be a conforming Python
> implementation.

Since Jython and IronPython are conforming Python implementations, and
Guido has started making policy decisions specifically to support these
other implementations (e.g. the language feature moratorium, PEP 3003), I
think we can assume that this is a documentation bug.

However, a Python implementation that always returned 0 for
sys.getrefcount would technically satisfy the word of the documentation,
if not the spirit.

--
Steven