simple and fast platform independent IPC

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Feb 3 15:09:01 EST 2010

On 2/3/2010 6:31 AM, Joan Miller wrote:

>>> I've read that Pyro is not safe.
>>
>> That's a fairly broad thing to say. I've read lots
>> of things. What does "is not safe" mean, in any case?
>> I assume you've got a valid concern in mind which is
>> worth passing on to a would-be user, but what exactly
>> is it? FWIW I've used Pyro on and off over the years
>> without any problems. Certainly my computer's never
>> blown up as a result of using it.
>> From its own page:
> "Pyro has never been truly designed to provide a secure communication
> mechanism, nor has it had a security review or -test by a security
> expert."
> http://pyro.sourceforge.net/features.html

For communication between processes on one machine, that hardly seems to
be a worry. If it were, I would expect that sending encrypted strings
would substantially improve things.

That aside, I would wonder whether you could use a master process with a
gui to haphazardly launch subprocess, so as to avail oneself of
multiprocessing.Queue.

Terry Jan Reedy