Ten rules to becoming a Python community member.

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 00:50:51 EDT 2011

On Aug 15, 7:48 pm, Gregory Ewing <greg.ew... at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> rantingrick wrote:
> > "Used to" and "supposed to" is the verbiage of children
> > and idiots.
>
> So when we reach a certain age we're meant to abandon
> short, concise and idomatic ways of speaking, and substitute
> long words and phrases to make ourselves sound adult and
> educated?

Well that is the idea anyway. Not that we should be overly pedantic
about it of course, however some words need to be cast off before we
leave the "primary school playground" in the name of articulate
communication.

These specific phrases i have pointed out ("used to" and "supposed
to") are a result of a mind choosing the easy way out instead of
putting in the wee bit more effort required to express one's self in
an articulate manner. Also these two phrases are quite prolifically
used within his community (among others), from the BDFL on down. It's
a slippery slope my friend.