Python education survey

Eelco hoogendoorn.eelco at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 16:44:14 EST 2011

On Dec 27, 9:04 pm, Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohn... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 27, 1:45 pm, Eelco <hoogendoorn.ee... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 27, 6:53 pm, Lie Ryan <lie.1... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On 12/27/2011 10:41 PM, Eelco wrote:
> > > Before using VIM, I used to use gedit
>
> Eelco, please don't get offended, but can you (and everyone else) stop
> using silly verbage like "used to", "use to", "suppose to", "hard"
> when you "difficult", and "pretty" when you mean "very". I find this
> verbiage to be quite ridiculous. In this case you could have simply
> said...
>
> """Before using VIM, I USED gedit."""
>
> or if you want to stress that you don't use gedit anymore you could
> say...
>
> """ Previously i used gedit, but have since moved on to VIM."""
>
> Thanks

Despite the fact that you mis-attributed that quote to me, im going to
be a little bit offended in the name of its actual author anyway.
Thats a lot of words to waste on your linguistic preferences.
Personally, I reserve the right to botch my non-native languages as
much as I please.

> > You
> > dont have to explain to them how to open a file, and if you tell them
> > to hit the 'play' button to start running their code (not a hard
> > concept to grasp or remember either) they are good to start hacking.
>
> I always though "run" was a perfect verb for "running" code... but who
> knows :)

Im assuming the audience is familiar with an ipod, but not an IDE, or
programming in general. To their eyes, it looks like a 'play' button;
but yes, 'running' is what its called in my mind.