Screen readers for Tkinter (was Re: Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!)

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 02:33:23 EST 2011

From: "Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu>
> On 1/19/2011 11:27 AM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>
>>> Note: Currently, accessibility is only available via ATK<=>  AT-SPI on
>>> Linux. Sorry, no Windows MSAA support.
>>

>> This project is good, a step ahead, but in order to be really useful it
>> should be the one provided by the default Python package.
>> And of course, it should also offer support for Windows, since most of
>> the computer users use Windows, especially those who need accessibility
>> features.
>
> Octavian
>
> Please consider adding an 'Accessibility' page to the Python wiki with
> your info and the above for those interested.
>
> --
> Terry Jan Reedy

Well, I am not sure this is an interesting thing for the programmers. The
programmers (including me) are usually interested to have the job done as
fast as possible, with as few efforts as possible and to be easy to
maintain.
The GUIs should be accessible by default like in case of wxWIDGETS, SWT or
WindowsForms. That's why I said that that lib should be included in Python
implicitely eventually because if it is just promoted, the beginners won't
know about it and most of the programmers won't care to add accessibility
features with aditional efforts.

Too bad that it doesn't support the accessibility for Windows though.

Octavian