Learning new languages (was: checking if a list is empty)

Teemu Likonen tlikonen at iki.fi
Wed May 11 23:37:50 EDT 2011

* 2011-05-11T20:26:48+01:00 * Hans Georg Schaathun wrote:

> On Wed, 11 May 2011 14:44:37 -0400, Prasad, Ramit
>   <ramit.prasad at jpmchase.com> wrote:
>> I claim to be able to program (Java/Python), but would be absolutely
>> lost programming in Lisp. It is more than just "learning the syntax",
>> it includes a thought paradigm as well.
>
> OK. I should written 'how to program imperatively' ... 'new imperative
> language'. Or substitute functional/logical/whatever for imperative.

Common Lisp is an imperative language. It is also functional and
object-oriented language. It does not force any paradigm but supports
many. Thus, it is called a multi-paradigm language. I understand that
Lisp can be scary, though. Lisp code looks weird and it seems that the
myth that it's a functional language can't be busted.

Anyway, I agree with this: