Re-using copyrighted code

Andrew Berg robotsondrugs at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 18:36:08 EDT 2013

On 2013.06.08 17:09, Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Malte Forkel <malte.forkel at berlin.de> wrote:
>> # This version of the SRE library can be redistributed under CNRI's
>> # Python 1.6 license.  For any other use, please contact Secret Labs
>> # AB (info at pythonware.com).
>> #
>> # Portions of this engine have been developed in cooperation with
>> # CNRI.  Hewlett-Packard provided funding for 1.6 integration and
>> # other compatibility work.
>> #
>>
>> Now, how am I supposed to deal with that? Ask Secret Labs for some kind
>> of permission? Leave it as it is and add my own copyright line?
>>
>> Malte
>>

> You can find the license terms for all versions of Python at
> http://docs.python.org/3/license.html
> I'm not a lawyer, but it looks like you just need to include the
> copyright statement.
I misread that bit, having forgotten that Python was not always under the PSF.

To the OP: this is a pretty permissive license, but, as noted in the FAQ that Chris linked, there could be a problem if you wish to license
your work under the GPL since the CNRI license specifies a jurisdiction.
--
CPython 3.3.2 | Windows NT 6.2.9200 / FreeBSD 9.1