Don't feed the troll...

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jun 17 19:02:36 EDT 2013

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 09:31:53 +0200, Antoon Pardon wrote:

> Op 16-06-13 22:04, Steven D'Aprano schreef:
>> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:16:34 +0200, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>>
>>> You are trying to get it both ways. On the one hand you try to argue
>>> that there are no boundaries
>> I have never, ever argued that there are no boundaries. I have
>> repeatedly made it clear to Nikos when I thought he was behaving
>> improperly. And I've done the same to others when they've acted
>> improperly.
>
> That doesn't mean much. People can and do contradict themselves. So the
> fact that you made it clear to Nikos that he behaved improperly doesn't
> contradict you arguing somewhere else in a way that strongly suggest
> there are no boudaries.

Except that I have never, ever argued or suggested or even hinted that
there are no boundaries. The most you might legitimately accuse me of is
failing to be sufficiently vigilant at enforcing boundaries, according to
*your* idea of what is sufficient.

> But I'll take note that you assert there are boundaries. So I'll take it
> that there is nothing wrong with playing Internet Police and taking
> people to task who transgress this boundaries?

There is an enormous difference between doing what I, and others, have
done, which is to *politely* and *fairly* tell Nikos when he has
transgressed, and what the flame-warriors have done, which is just fire
off invective and insults.

Not long ago I got taken to task, politely, off-list for responding to
Ranting Rick with sarcasm. Sometimes the momentary pleasure of a flame
outweighs the knowledge that it probably isn't doing any good and may be
doing harm. I get that and don't hold it against anyone if they succumb
to temptation once in a while. (Those like Peter Otten, who have been
regulars here for *years* while still showing the patience of a saint,
never fail to astonish me. If I could be even half as good.)

But continuing to flame after being asked not to, and defending flamers,
that crosses the line from "spirit is willing, flesh is weak" into
*willfully bad* territory.

Contrast Chris Angelico's recent email telling Nikos that he *actually
should feel bad* about not reading the documentation. That is reasonable.
It's not just a stream of insults. It doesn't just try to bully him into
going away or shutting up in order to avoid being shouted at. If Nikos
fails to learn from it, that is Nikos' failure, not Chris'.

> One thing I would like to make clear, is that I find you making it clear
> he behaviour is improper, to be inadequate for the reason that it
> ignores the possibility that you are playing a troll game.

Oh my, that's funny.

But seriously, don't do that. I won't put up with that sort of thing. You
rarely contribute in this community, and now here you are trying to take
the moral high ground by defending flaming and criticising those who give
actual helpful, on-topic advice. I won't be called a troll by you. Do it
again, and you're plonked.

--
Steven