A few questiosn about encoding

Andreas Perstinger andipersti at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 13:08:06 EDT 2013

Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since we're on the subject of Unicode:
>One the most humorous aspects of Unicode is that it has
>encodings for Braille characters. Hmm, this presents a
>conundrum of sorts. RIDDLE ME THIS?!
>
>    Since Braille is a type of "reading" for the blind by
>    utilizing the sense of touch (therefore DEMANDING 3
>    dimensions) and glyphs derived from Unicode are
>    restrictively two dimensional, because let's face it people,
>    Unicode exists in your computer, and computer screens are
>    two dimensional... but you already knew that -- i think?,
>    then what is the purpose of a Unicode Braille character set?
>
>That should haunt your nightmares for some time.

From http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode6.2.0/ch15.pdf
"The intent of encoding the 256 Braille patterns in the Unicode
Standard is to allow input and output devices to be implemented that
can interchange Braille data without having to go through a
context-dependent conversion from semantic values to patterns, or vice
versa. In this manner, final-form documents can be exchanged and
faithfully rendered."

http://files.pef-format.org/specifications/pef-2008-1/pef-specification.html#Unicode

I wish you a pleasant sleep tonight.

Bye, Andreas