Newbie: question regarding references and class relationships

Terry Jan Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jun 10 18:07:15 EDT 2013

On 6/10/2013 4:13 PM, Rui Maciel wrote:
> Terry Jan Reedy wrote:
>
>> Three answers:
>> Look how much trouble it has already caused ;-)
>> Since you are a self-declared newbie, believe us!
>> Since, be definition, useless code can do no good, it can only cause
>> trouble. Think about it.
>
> I don't doubt that there might good reasons for that, but it is always
> preferable to get the rationale behind a decision to be able to understand
> how things work and how to do things properly.

I agree actually. But sometimes is it hard to articulate 'good reasons'
for a principle based on the integration of over a decade of experience.
I was really trying to point to the difference between

'I will not accept the experience-based advice until enough good reasons
are presented.' and

'I will provisionally accept the advice but I would still like to know why.'

Another principle similar to 'Don't add extraneous code' is 'Don't
rebind builtins*'. I have a separate post for that.

Terry