annoying doctest problem

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 13:15:23 EST 2015

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 7:00 AM, Steven D'Aprano <
steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> I didn't mean to give the impression that doctest was wrong to be fussy, or
> dumb if you prefer. I think it's exactly the right behaviour.

I wasn't actually concerned that Steven might have misunderstood how
doctest works, just that other less experienced programmers might interpret
his statement as suggesting that doctest's comparisons were somehow wrong
or might be made less "fussy". That word suggests to me that there is some
sort of critical evaluation by the fussy party going on (doctest, in this
case), when there is none. Which is why I chose the word "dumb."

Skip