Pythonic Y2K

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Fri Jan 18 16:55:28 EST 2019

Larry,

I keep hearing similar things about the Flu Vaccine. It only works 40% of
the time or whatever. But most of the people that get the flu get a
different strain they were not vaccinated against!

There are hundreds of strains out there and by protecting the herd against
just a few, others will flourish. So was it worth it?

Your argument would be that your work found lots of things related to Y2000
that could have been a problem and therefore never got a chance to show. I
wonder if anyone did a case study and found an organization that refused to
budge and changed nothing, not even other products that were changed like
the OS? If such organizations had zero problems, that would be interesting.
If they had problems and rapidly had their software changed or fixed, that
would be another and we could ask if the relative cost and consequence made
such an approach cheaper.

But in reality, I suspect that many of the vendors supplying products made
the change for all their clients. I bet Oracle might have offered some
combination of new and improved products to replace old ones or tools that
could be used to say read in a database in one format and write it out again
with wider date fields.

The vast difference some allude to is realistic. Y2K swept the globe in
about 24 hours. No easy way to avoid it for many applications. Someone
running python 2.X on their own machines may be able to continue living in
their bubble for quite a while. If you sell or share a product with python
frozen into an app, it makes no difference. But asking some clients to
maintain multiple copies of python set up so one app keeps running as all
others use the newer one, may not remain a great solution indefinitely.

Has anyone considered something that may be at the edges. How well do
cooperating programs work together? I mean if program one processes and
saves some data structures using something like pickle, and program two is
supposed to read the pickle back in and continue processing, then you may
get anomalies of many kinds if they use different pythons. Similarly,
processes that start up other scripts and communicate with them, may need to
start newer programs that use the 3.X or beyond version as no back-ported
version exists. The bubble may enlarge and may eventually burst.