Books for Python 3.7

Richard Mok mok888 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 11:27:49 EDT 2019

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 11:04:57 AM UTC-4, sjm... at gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 11:37:08 AM UTC-3, mok... at gmail.com wrote:
> > Can anyone help me.
> > New to Python.
> > Installed version 3.7
> > I purchased the "Python for Dummies" book But this book was written for an older version of Python.
> > All the examples and samples don't work with version 3.7
> > Can anyone direct me to which is the latest book to buy to properly learn Python.
> > Thanks
>
> You don't say what Python release your book covers, but the first thing to know is that Python 3 has many incompatibilities with Python 2.  I don't think any book that covers Python 2 is useful for a new Python programmer using Python 3.
>
> You also don't say whether you're a beginning programmer or a veteran wanting to learn a new language.  This might affect your book choice, as some are directed more toward beginning programmers.
>
> One good choice is Dive Into Python, available for free on-line (google "dive into python 3").  I'm sure other folks could suggest additional suitable Python 3 books.
>
> HTH,
>   Steve J. Martin

Hi Steve

Thanks for the super fast response.
It does not mention on the book which version of Python it is using.
I assume it is for 2.7
Its written by Stef and Aahz Maruch

I am a seasoned programmer but only on main frames computer using RPG, Cobol etc.
I have no experience programming on a PC at all.
That's why I bought the Dummies book, so that I can start from the very beginning.

Will check out the Dive Into Python.....

Thanks