Spam, bacon, sausage and Spam (was: EuroPython 2020: Data Science Track)

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Wed Jul 22 20:12:14 EDT 2020

On 22Jul2020 15:00, Christian Heimes <christian at python.org> wrote:
>Hi MAL,
>
>would it be possible to reduce the amount of EuroPython spam on
>@python.org mailing lists to a sensible level? This mailing list is a
>general discussion list for the Python programming language. It's not a
>conference advertisement list.
>
>Something between 1 to 3 mails per conference and year (!) sounds
>sensible to me. [...]

I, OTOH, am unperturbed.

Things have been much in flux this year, and a last minute short notice
thing like this post needs wide dissemination. Normally a conference
needs few posts, but this year everything is different and plans have
changed a lot, on the fly.

I have never attended EuroPython and probably never will (I'm on the
other side of the planet) but I'm still interested. Rather than
subscribe to every conference thing, getting them here is very
convenient.

As with all posters and topics, a truly annoying one can always be
blocked at your personal discretion with a filter rule, eg to discard
"europython". I know that advice verges on the spammers' claim that "you
can always opt out" but for me this stuff isn't spam.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> (formerly cs at zip.com.au)