replying to the mailing list (was: Winreg)

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Thu Jul 30 23:19:46 EDT 2020

On 30Jul2020 20:25, Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
>Use the Reply or Reply-To-All feature of your email program and it will do the rest for you.

Plain "reply" is often only "reply-to-author" for many mailers. I use
"reply-to-all" myself, and edit the headers if that seems excessive.
Some mailers (eg mutt) also have a "list-reply" operation, which should
also be correct, arguably more correct.

>> On 30 Jul 2020, at 20:14, R Pasco <pascor22234 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't find instructions for the proper way to reply to 'python
>> list'. Is
>> it simply a matter of keeping the message title identical to the original
>> message and emailing again to python-list at python.org ? I'll reply both ways
>> to test this.

Using the same subject is _not_ enough. Messages are connected together
with the "In-Reply-To:" header, which is automatically set by your
mailer's "reply" function (regardless of the flavour mentioned above).

So please just reply to the relevant list message, and make sure the
list address (python-list at python.org) is in the resulting to/cc.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>