Create a Python Launcher on Desktop

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Fri Nov 11 19:33:41 EST 2022

On 11/11/2022 4:44 PM, ohinseok at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am real a beginner of Python.  Not able to create a Python launcher
> (shortcut) on Desktop after the installation.
>
> Would you kindly instruct how to do it?
>

> Windows 11-Home, 64 bits, HP desktop

If you get an offer of Python when you open the start menu and type
"Python" (no quotes, please) then it's easy. I'm working with Windows
10, but it's probably much the same in Windows 11.

When the Start menu offers "Python", choose the version of Python you
want (if there are more than one), right click on it, and choose "Open
File Location".  This will open a Windows Explorer window with some
Python-related shortcuts.  Make sure the Explorer window does not cover
the whole screen - you need to have some of the desktop visible around
it. Choose the shortcut for Python, and drag it to the desktop **while
holding down both the <SHIFT> and <CTRL> keys**.  Presto, a Python
launcher on your desktop.

If you don't see your version of Python when you tap the Windows key and
type "Python", then you will need to find where the Python directory is,
find the file called "python.exe", and then do the dragging operation on it.

If you do not know how to find where Python is located, then please see
my message on this list titled "Re: Problems with IDLE in Windows 8.1
and installer x86 Version 3.10.8", dated 11/9/2022.