Create a Python Launcher on Desktop

Eryk Sun eryksun at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 20:17:01 EST 2022

On 11/11/22, ohinseok at gmail.com <ohinseok at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am real a beginner of Python.  Not able to create a Python launcher
> (shortcut) on Desktop after the installation.

Did you already install Python? If not, open the Store, and install
the Python 3.11 app that's published by the Python Software
Foundation. After Python is installed, you'll have shortcuts in the
start menu that run Python in a terminal or that run the IDLE
development environment.

On the context menu of a shortcut, there's an action to pin it to the
top-level start menu, which is more convenient than having to click on
"all apps" to find it. Also, the context menu of a pinned shortcut has
an action to pin it to the taskbar, for even more convenient access.
The running application icon on the taskbar also lets you pin the app.

If you really want a shortcut on your desktop, it depends on which
distribution you installed. If you installed the app version of 3.11,
then you have "python3.11.exe" to run Python in a terminal and
"idle3.11.exe" to IDLE. To create a shortcut, right click the desktop;
select the action to create a new shortcut; and enter one of the
latter executable names. After creating the shortcut, on its context
menu select the "properties" action, and then modify the "start in"
folder to your preferred working directory.

If you installed the standard distribution from python.org, then you
already have normal file shortcuts (as opposed to app shortcuts) in
the start menu, which you can copy to the desktop. The context menu of
the start-menu shortcut has an action to open the file location. This
opens an Explorer window. Right click the shortcut in that window and
drag it to the desktop. Release the mouse button and select the action
"copy here".