[Python-mode] agenda

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Jan 20 15:56:13 CET 2009

Beverley Eyre wrote:

> LOL.
>
> I haven't even looked at 3.0 yet. I have no idea what would be involved,
> Andreas.  Are there any changes that would cause massive alterations in
> the way a person using it would want it to look and feel in emacs?
>
> <dum de dum... checking out changes in 3.0)
>
> Well, after spending 15 minutes reading about the changes made in 'Py3k'
> I can only say that the changes  to python-mode will have to be
> discussed here.  There are plainly some things that need to be changed.
> How much depends on strategic decisions about python-mode and what we
> want it to be (e.g. how serious will the syntax checking/helping be?).
> Also, again, depending on strategic decisions, it *could* be hard to
> make it backwardly compatible without specifying the version of Python
> being used. They come pretty close to saying it's all but a new language
> in a couple of places. They seem to be wanting to remove a lot of
> the...ahh... (what to call it) the 'casual' feeling of Python and make
> it much more strict.
>
> I'd be glad to help with both the talking and the coding, of course.

it would be nice if we could put some additional features for programming by
voice.  In addition to some other navigation things I've spoken about earlier,
it would be useful to have a set of visible symbols and their scope.  Within the
file would be good, including all of the imported modules would be wonderful.
It would be superb if we could identify which class and instance belong to so we
can dynamically restrict what can be recognized to just the methods of the class.

I know this isn't easy and may not be possible but it's incredibly useful.

---eric