[python-nigeria] (no subject)

Aisha Bello aishabello2050 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 12:49:48 EST 2015

@Olabayo thanks for the support and call to action. An open source
community project seems like a really cool way to start, I guess to make it
more interesting people can give pitches on the open source projects they
would like the community to work on and we could put it to a vote by show
of hands or e-voting.
For my suggestions as regards agenda I would like to add discussions about
the creation of an active psf group for promoting python in Nigeria, and
brainstorming on different ways to actively promote python in Nigeria. For
dates: Has any dates been selected for the meetup if not which dates is the
venue free. I suppose a good time might be either on a Saturday or in the
evening during the week after work. For Refreshments I am not sure how it
will work I guess there are two ways to it: 1) A kind hearted Individual or
company could sponsor refreshments 2) everyone brings a refreshment as a
contribution which could range from Wine/Juice, to plastic cups, crisps/
biscuits e.t.c If everyone chips in a refreshment I am sure it could be
covered. My suggestions though......

@Olamilekan Thanks for airing your concerns. Currently we have somewhat 8
coaches, somewhat because there is a 1 maybe, so technically 7 coaches. As
regards brushing up on Django there is the DjangoGirls tutorial
http://tutorial.djangogirls.org/en/index.html
while during the workshop the attendees will be going through the tutorial
you as their mentor will be there to explain things that are unclear and
help them if they run into errors. As for brushing up you can do so with
the tutorial, we're not asking you to be a Django expert, but the deal is
you know more about programming than any of the attendees under your mentor
ship and you can work with them in figuring it out. Usually how it works
is, even after 10 coaches there are usually about 2-3 meta coaches who have
more experience in Django and will be there to help out whatever problem
the coach's might not be able to handle. More so, we encourage DjangoGirls
attendees who have attended the workshops to volunteer as coaches because
they learn something new each time and while teaching others they get
better. I'll be happy to answer more questions.

mErgencyNG sounds like it will bring about the much needed social change
and looks like a possible interesting open source project.

@Loek I sure can testify to the awesomeness of the Python/Django community.
We will definitely appreciate and welcome your help in helping setup the
Nigerian python community. Looking forward to PyCon Namibia

@Eigie I do understand your concerns and I must confess it can be quite a
bit challenging at first. That's why among other things we stress
mentorship even after the workshop; also we take the pressure off and
simplify the learning process by creating a really friendly and vibrant
atmosphere for the attendees *No Pressure*. If you've gone through the
DjangoGirls tutorial you might see what am referring to. Among other things
we intend to equip our attendees with a community they can always turn to
for support in walking through the learning curve. Again, we will be
gathering amazing learning resources for attendees this is asides the
Djangogirls tutorial. For example, Tracy Osborn is sponsoring our attendees
with the 'hello web app' book written in a simplified easy to learn Django
even for someone with no technical background. I am also currently making
plans to create a meetup group so attendees if they choose to after the
workshop can continue learning with the community for example 2hrs a week
something like what Temi Adeoye is presently doing
http://www.meetup.com/lagos-python-meetup/events/226773912/
What I discovered in learning as a newbie myself is nothing beats having
people to learn with, and a mentor always willing to help you answer
questions or explain difficult concepts. With all of these and many more we
hope to really simplify learning for attendees and ensure they are having
fun in the process. And another thing I might add is, it is more really
about introducing them to the endless possibilities of the Python Language.
I for one although learnt Django and find it useful but I am diverting to
PyData for data mining & machine learning . The idea is using Python to
harness what you are already passionate about, so in learning the basics
during the workshop they can see and take advantage of the general purpose
nature of Python. Hopefully I answered your questions, do feel free to let
me know if I missed anything.

@Chukwudi cool I didn't know about the nairaland post...Yaay!!! for
publicity. We should probably write to Linda Ikeji too.

Hope everyone is having an awesome-tastic week so far?

Aisha Bello