[python-uk] Python uk meetup

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Wed Mar 24 11:36:28 EST 2004

>On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Toby watson wrote:
>> On Wednesday, March 24, 2004, at 11:10  am, Andy Todd wrote:
>>
>> > True, but the problem with broadband is that it is usually
>a minimum
>> > 12 month commitment, and Stuart said he's only here for 3.
>[...]
>> Virgin do a 'no tie in', month to month service. £25.
>
>IIRC, I saw a cheaper monthly deal than that, and that was
>quite a while
>back now, so probably worth shopping around a bit.

Having looked at this recently, the bottom lines seem to be:

1) You're going to have to pay ~£25 / month.
   The £15 / £20 deals are generally for lower-speed broadband
   which is arguably not worth it.

2) In any case you need a standard (BT?) landline *as well* so the
   effective cost is higher. It's not as though you're just pitting
   your current telephone bill against a £25/mo flat rate.

I'd love to be proved wrong -- I haven't managed to justify
the expense to myself for the occasional burst of speed I need.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk