[python-uk] London Python Roles

Michael Grazebrook michael at grazebrook.com
Wed Dec 15 13:45:40 CET 2010

I work in the financial sector. Python is definately increasing.

Some systems are being written in Python, but that's not its main use.
Certainly not for calculations and financial models, where they normally
have to be very fast.

It's popular as a repacement for Perl, for example in batch automation.
I've also used it for reporting: its excellent ability to interface to
libraries means you can drive Excel (or most things .Net) from Python. I
even used it to link to Bloomberg once, creating a framework to get the
data to test some finanical models.

Report Lab does a fair bit of work in the financial sector in a rather
different field.

Little in the web field in Finance: maybe that's just my persoanl
experience.