[python-uk] Next Python Sheffield meeting July 24th

Daley Chetwynd d_chetwynd at fastmail.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 23:18:05 CEST 2012

Hi all,

The next Python Sheffield meeting will be on Tuesday July 24th at the
GIST Lab. Note that this is a week earlier than our usual final Tuesday
of the month. The meeting will run from 19:00 - 20:45, although doors
will be open at the GIST Lab from 18:45. The GIST Lab is located
opposite Sheffield train station and behind the Showroom cinema:

http://thegisthub.net/groups/gistlab

This month we have the following two speakers:

Thomas Kluyver (@takluyver) - Taxonome: A Software Tool for Biological
Data
Simon Davy (@bloodearnest) - Virtualenv is Obsolete

Simon has given the following description for his talk:

"Virtualenv is the defacto standard method of managing dependencies and
environments in the python ecosystem, and is included by default in
Python 3.3. But there are still a number of drawbacks, and with
virtual machines becoming the unit of deployment, its benefits are
less clear. This talk will look at using virtualenv for deployment,
and explore some of the limitations and open questions."

If you'd like to join us for this meeting then please register for free
at:

http://pythonsheffield1207.eventbrite.com/

We're always looking for future speakers so if you'd like to talk on
anything Python-related and fancy a trip over to Sheffield, please get
in touch. The Python Sheffield user group is open to all levels of
Python user, including those who don't currently know the language but
would like to learn. To find out more, follow @pysheff on Twitter or see
the Google group:

groups.google.com/group/python-sheffield

Thanks,

Daley Chetwynd