[python-uk] PyconUK - Call for Papers is open for only another week and a half

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Wed Aug 7 09:08:04 CEST 2013

Hi Folks,

Giving a talk or tutorial at PyconUK is a fun and rewarding thing to
do. You'll be presenting to a friendly and technically savvy group of
colleagues in a supportive and open atmosphere.

If you have just a small inkling for a talk idea, shape it up in to
something that'd take 20 minutes to deliver and be prepared to follow
it up with 10 minutes of questions (see below for how to do this).
Fancy delivering a tutorial..? That's great! Tell us what you want to
teach!

Submit your talk at: http://pyconuk.org/

What could you talk about..? Well, anything that's related to Python!
Testing, web development, databases, education, graphics, games,
performance, scaling, event-driven, networking, numpy/scipy, your fun
personal Python based project, RaspberryPi, Python as used in industry
X (where X is, well, maybe the industry you work in - banking, media,
healthcare, public sector, education), how we use Python at <insert
Megacorp here>, how to get involved with <insert interesting and well
known Python project here>, and community related talks are all
subjects ripe for PyconUK.

"I know about X but I don't know what to submit" is a common
complaint. Easy, just follow these simple steps:

* Think of an interesting topic you know about - perhaps from the list
above.
* Decide if this is a beginner, intermediate or advanced talk...
* If it's a beginner level talk submit, "An introduction to X in Python"
* Intermediate level talks could be titled, "Making the most of X in
Python - tips, tricks and recipes to avoid disaster"
* Advanced level talks could be entitled, "Everything you ever wanted
to know about X in Python (but were afraid to ask)".
* You know your subject - don't just use these suggestions, think of a
cool title.

"But what do I present..?" I hear you ask...

Imagine a deck of ten slides where 1 = Title, 2 = Summary of problem
topic, 9 = Summary of solution, 10 = Your contact details / FAQ. That
means you only need to think of 6 slides to fill in your talk. At two
minutes per slide you have a 20 minute talk on your hands.

How easy is that!?!?!?!?!

What are you waiting for..? You have nothing to fear but fear itself
(and a broken projector - but that's our problem). Fame, fortune and
the kudos from your peers awaits you. Submit something, you won't
regret it!

Here's the link again: http://pyconuk.org

All the best,

Nicholas.