[python-win32] servicemanager.pyd still in use after servicetermination

Richard Cooper Richard at artsalliancemedia.com
Thu Dec 2 10:53:05 CET 2004

> > I noticed that every so often running the installer over an
> existing
> > installation would complain about servicemanager.pyd being still in
> > use.
> > This is despite the installer running 'net stop MyService' and
> > 'MyService.exe -remove' before copying files.
>
> Note that you will see this behaviour if the event-viewer
> application is open.  This is because that application loads
> the DLLs to extract the messages.  I've never seen this
> happen in any situation other than this.

Yes, I've noticed this too. In this situation servicemanager.pyd is held
by mmc.exe. However, I can reproduce the behaviour I described even
after a reboot and without launching the event viewer. If my service
raises an exception in SvcDoRun then servicemanager.pyd ends up being
held by a process called Wmiprvse.exe

If no one else is seeing this behaviour then I guess I will have to try
to distil a minimal test case out of my code.

BTW in case it matters I'm using python 2.3.4, pywin32 build 203 and
py2exe 0.5.4.