[python-win32] win32ras.dial

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 08:08:13 CEST 2004

[fmml at cedval.org]
| I need to have a window machine, to periodically transfer a
| file over the internet. The Net connection is by modem.
| When trying the code below, the script initiate a call, but
| seem to close the connection right after.
| Does anybody have example code of using win32ras.dial?

Just to reassure you, I've recently used Python to save
our (and our customer's) bacon by maintaining a dial-up
from some high-profile advertising sites here in London.
So it definitely works. The important code fragment is:

<code>
def connect (ras_entry_name, username, password):
  return win32ras.Dial (
    None,
    None,
    (ras_entry_name, "", "", username, password, ""),
    None
  )
</code>

[fmml at cedval.org]
| handle = win32ras.Dial(None, None, ("my_local_isp",), None)

Now it's not clear from your code whether the "my_local_isp" in
your third parameter is the name of a dial-up entry. Assuming it
is, are the username/password stored against the entry? Try
adding them in explicitly. I'm a little surprised that the
function doesn't throw you out for passing the wrong number of
entries in the RASDIALPARAMS tuple. Try specifying them all as
in my example above.

TJG