[python-win32] Folder permissions

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Sat Jan 29 02:52:42 CET 2005

Ryan Parrish wrote:

>Hi, this is my first jump into the win32 world of python so please excuse me and carry on your normal life's if what I'm saying makes no sense at all :-)
>
>I am trying to write a script that will walk all my directories and get the users/groups and there respective permissions that are assigned to the folder, but I cant seem to find a suitable part to start.

I was fighting this.. verbose API a while back. A few messages from the
list archive might be of interest to you:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-win32/2003-June/001104.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-win32/2003-June/001102.html

I'm sorry to say I never got to the bottom of it. There are examples of
the file security api in Mak Hammond's book, I dont have it right now so
I'm afraid I can't say exactly what they cover.

As an alternative you might try running cacls.exe or xcacls.exe and
capturing the ouput.