[python-win32] Folder Permissions - Inherit problem

Feiock, Dennis DFeiock at ameripath.com
Mon Mar 27 15:34:11 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I have been trying to write a script to backup/restore NTFS permissions.
I have come across one problem.

How can I set a folder to inherit its permissions?  I am able to detect
if a folder has inherited permissions by:

16 & ACE_FLAGS == 16

When I am stepping through them and exporting to an XML file.

I found this message:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-win32/2004-July/002112.html

Which states that ACEs have to be in a certain order (inherited ACEs
last).

I am able to use the win32security.SetFileSecurity function correctly to
set permissions.  It's just that when I go to view the inheritance on
the folder, the checkbox is always unchecked.

Thanks for any assistance.

Dennis Feiock