[python-win32] Regarding COM server and exe

Tejovathi P tejovathi.p at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 12:04:15 CET 2008

Here is my sample COM server and py2exe setup file

*testCOM.py*

import win32com.client
import os.path
import shutil
from win32api import Sleep
import string
import os
import sys
import pythoncom

class FirstEx:

    _reg_clsid_ = "{A6DE9DF8-5EBF-48E6-889E-C71CB84CFF2C}"
    pythoncom.frozen = 1
    if hasattr(sys, 'importers'):
        # In the py2exe-packed version, specify the module.class
        # to use. In the python script version, python is able
        # to figure it out itself.
        _reg_class_spec_ = "__main__.FirstEx"
    _reg_desc_ = "My first COM server"
    _reg_progid_ = "SAMPLE.Lib"
    _public_methods_ = ['init', 'Version']
    _public_attrs_ = ['softspace', 'noCalls']
    _readonly_attrs_ = ['noCalls']
    _reg_clsctx_ = pythoncom.CLSCTX_LOCAL_SERVER

    def __init__(self):
        self.softspace = 1
        self.noCalls = 0

    def Version(self):
        self.noCalls = self.noCalls + 1

        # insert "softspace" number of spaces
        return "Version: 0.0.1"

if __name__=='__main__':
    import sys
    if hasattr(sys, 'importers'):
        # running as packed executable.
        if '--register' in sys.argv[1:] or '--unregister' in sys.argv[1:]:
        # --register and --unregister work as usual
            import win32com.server.register
            win32com.server.register.UseCommandLine(FirstEx)
        else:
            # start the server.
            from win32com.server import localserver
            localserver.main()
    else:
        import win32com.server.register
        win32com.server.register.UseCommandLine(FirstEx)

 Here is my setup file:

#Start here
from distutils.core import setup
import py2exe

setup(options = {"py2exe": {"compressed": 1,
                          "optimize": 2,
                          "ascii": 1,
                          "bundle_files": 1}},
    zipfile = None,
    com_server = ["win32com.servers.interp"],
    console = ["testCOM.py"])
#End here

Here is my VB code:

Sub subRoutine()
Dim connection As Object
Dim returnvalue1 As String
Dim returnvalue2 As String
Dim flag3 As Boolean

Set connection = CreateObject("SAMPLE.Lib")
returnvalue1 = connection.Version()
MsgBox (returnvalue1)
End Sub

The non exe version of the COM server ie. directlly running the
testCOM.pyregisters the library properly and

in the VB application, the message box displays the version as 0.0.1.

But, after I create the EXE file using the setup.py file and run it, it
registers the library.

When I run the VB application, it hangs at the line

*Set connection = CreateObject("SAMPLE.Lib")*

and displays. " ACTIVEX cannot create the object"

Any suggestions please....