[python-win32] ISensLogon COM Object

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Jan 10 19:28:17 CET 2008

le dahut wrote:
> First, thank you for your answer, you really remove me a spine of the foot.
>
> I have to use ISensLogon for this reason
> http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/6ec4ec6d-6b84-44c9-b3af-116589a42b861033.mspx?mfr=true
> today I use Winlogon Notification package to catch Logon and Logoff
> events.

Ah, yes.  Winlogon notifications were one of the most productive attack
vectors for spyware authors.  That's why they were removed.

>  Maybe I could use SCM...?

My personal opinion, based on gut instinct, is that the SCM path would
be a much quicker path to success.  There are several good examples on
the web of how to write services using Python.  It's relatively easy,
and there's not a lot of code.  The ISensLogon thing would make more
sense if you already had a big application that was already acting as a
COM services, but to start from scratch and build a COM+ server just to
catch these messages seems like an awful lot of work for a relatively
small payout.

Again, however, that's just my personal opinion.  The downside of using
a service is that you can't easily have any user interface.  As long as
you don't need to interact with the user, I'd recommend the service.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com