[python-win32] COM registration/unregistration and elevation onVista

Michel Claveau mc at mclaveau.com
Sat Jan 19 09:33:45 CET 2008

Hi, all!

Answer(s) "in bulk"...

[Mark]

a patch for register.py is a way moreover ; it is always good to take.

>The elevation prompt simply says "python.exe"

Yes. But developers can also inform their users.

> manifest

The problem is: manifest is link to python.exe (=> all python scripts). It's
no possible to separate some scripts from others...

> Once registered (Python COM object/server), it can be used by normal
> users.

I (to date) did not test a python-COM recorded with elevation, and used
without elevation. Perhaps today...

[Tim Roberts]

> sophisticated users will want to do their own thing anyway

Wouah!!  I'm a "sophisticated user".  Yes, I already defined my own means,
to install with elevation. I created scripts with AutoIt, which contains a
pragma, "RequireAdmin", and can launch batchs. That is useful to me for
PyWin32, but also for Python standard, and the majority of the
installations/updates.

> An application with "setup" or "install" or "update" in its filename
> automatically gets elevated

in theory, yes; but not (always) for me. I carried out some tests, of the
times it's OK, of the times, not...

[Roger Upole]

> Could you capture the output by adding ">somelogfile"

Yes. This way run OK. I use that in my install, (with >>) like/for "log
analyze", if problem.

> suppress the elevation

I confirm: Runas with non-admin user suppress the elevation

[Conclusion]:

some if my scripts don't run, if UAC is activated. Even in admin; even with
elevation.
I am obliged to stop UAC; I do not have choice...  And, it's easy : only few
reg entries & a reboot.

@-salutations

Michel Claveau