[python-win32] COM registration/unregistration and elevation onVista

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Sat Jan 19 11:17:19 CET 2008

Hi Michel,

> > manifest
>
> The problem is: manifest is link to python.exe (=> all python scripts).
> It's
> no possible to separate some scripts from others...

We could document that to get the admin privs, you should use a different
.exe.  But that still sucks :)

> I (to date) did not test a python-COM recorded with elevation, and used
> without elevation. Perhaps today...

That seems to work fine.

> [Roger Upole]
>
> > Could you capture the output by adding ">somelogfile"
>
> Yes. This way run OK. I use that in my install, (with >>) like/for "log
> analyze", if problem.

My patch uses ShellExecuteEx(); unless that uses %comspec%, redirection is
unlikely to work.  I've not tried though.  Any chance you could see if you
can get the child output?

> [Conclusion]:
>
> some if my scripts don't run, if UAC is activated. Even in admin; even
> with
> elevation.
> I am obliged to stop UAC; I do not have choice...  And, it's easy :
> only few reg entries & a reboot.

I will not do that so I can test how things work for people who stick with
the recommended settings.  OTOH, Vista isn't my main dev env yet; it might
drive me mad if it was :)

Cheers,

Mark