[python-win32] get file tags in windows7 vista

David Hutto smokefloat at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 20:23:58 CET 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 3:20 AM, nonino <noa.grasdovitch at live.biu.ac.il> wrote:

> Ok, Lets start from the beginning:
> I am doing a PhD in information science. As part of my study I am studying
> the use of folders vs. tags. starting from windows vista there is an option
> in windows to add tags to office files photos and other file formats. In the
> first part of my experience I will run on the participant's computer a
> program (the one that I am trying to write:)) that return the ouput: 1000
> files in total: 100 in under folder hierarchy of 4, 300 under folder
> hierarchy of 3 600 under folder hierarchy of 2. (I wrote this program with
> os.walk) then I will teach the participants how to use the tag options and
> will ask them to tag their files for the next 2 weeks.
> After two weeks I would like to run again the program and now to see how
> many tags were added.

So you have a tag. This is a specific mark, a regular expression. You
need to search for the instances of this tag in a file, and then
utilize the info in between these tags. Us sophisticated doctors and
PhD's would splice out the info in between tags, right?:)

help(re)

And scientific method from there.

so the output will be for example: 1010 files in