[python-win32] Two questions

Ian hobson42 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 23:16:50 CET 2010

Hi all,

Question 1/

I am writing a large and complex app in Python 2.7 with PyQt4 for an
exclusively windows environment.  All users will be access the app from
machines on the same LAN as the central database. In the early
(pre-launch) days, I expect releases to be made frequently, as new
features are added and the customer wishes to test them out.

What is a good way to release such code?

I was thinking of copying the .pyc files to a shared directory on the
server, and having the start-up script check and update a local copy if
any changes had been made since the last start-up.

Question 2. I am using  the pywin32 extensions. This installed with no
trouble on my development machine, but now I am creating the install
instructions, for client machines, I find the  "python setup.py install"
step is failing with the error message

  error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

I'm clearly missing something, but what? Google tells me that I am
missing mingw, but I have not installed mingw (knowingly), I don't
remember adding |-c mingw32|  to the command (not that that means
much).  I don't want to install mingw on every client machine unless I
have to - there is plenty already.

Regards

Ian