[python-win32] Win API call to display a BMP/PNG file as a splash screen for a console app?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Mar 23 00:49:50 CET 2010

python at bdurham.com wrote:

> Thanks for the wxPython code. My reason for wanting to avoid wxPython
> (and pyQt) is that I don't want to ship the wxPython framework just to
> display a splash screen. I believe this might triple the size of my
> PY2EXE generated executables - not a worthwhile tradeoff for a
> cosmetic feature like a splash screen.

Well, you're going to need a framework of some kind.  It's possible you
could make it smaller by using Tkinter, but displaying a bitmap requires
creating a window, and creating a window means you have to have a
message dispatch loop and window procedure, just like a full GUI
application.

There's really no other way.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com