[PythonCE] pcceshell

Jeffrey Nix chronowarper at netscape.net
Tue Nov 25 10:16:33 EST 2003

Hello!
I have been looking at this list for the past couple of months and now I'm finally contributing. Anyway I have hacked pcceshell and made multiple improvements. A quick rundown of some of my improvements..
1) modified the threading implementation to use threading instead of thread
2) RunCode is now a Thread class
3) I made it into a package for easier (in my opinion at least) browsing and editing
4) support for a Python startup script (it loads the file PYTHONSTARTUP.py if it is on the path)
5) I changed it so that instead of everything being written into the __builtin__ module it now correctly writes it into __main__
6) internal compiler now supports __future__ statements
7) any others I added before I started documenting my changes...

Some interesting properties of my modified pcceshell...
1) It is possible to have multiple copies of the interpreter running and from analysis of __main__ and shell variables I have good reason to believe that they truly are seperate instances (just like opening two terminals/consoles and running python in both of them)
2) scripts passed as "command line" arguments on startup now recognize themselves as __main__ (I forget if this was an intensional fix on my part or a consequence of makeing the shell use __main__ instead of __builtin__)

If you're interested e-mail me and I'll send you a copy (sorry it's the only distribution method I have).