[PythonCE] Python 2.3 - Thanks

Guido Wesdorp mailings at johnnydebris.net
Fri Oct 17 06:21:12 EDT 2003

Voidspace wrote:

> Great.
> Thanks very much guys for all your work and effort in this area.
> I'm afraid I'm unable to help a great deal as I don't understand the
> issues when porting stuff over.
> I thought most of the module were written in C ! So I'm a little
> surprised to hear of them as .py files :-)

Well some of them are, and that's an area of which I don't know much as
well, (thanks a whole lot to David Kashtan for that dirty job ;) but
most of the standard modules are indeed written in Python (who wants to
write C if (s)he doesn't have to ;). David (probably because he just
added what he needed, or to keep the distribution as small as possible)
had only packed up the C-stuff and some core modules, I just added a
bunch of standard Python distribution stuff (which was very easy: just
grabbed the lot from another Python 2.3 and compiled that to .pyc files
(to save some space)).

> I've got the 640k core distribution up and running - which now brings
> a console window up - great ! Is this because ppceshell is now
> included as standard ?

Think so, to be honest I just bought my PPC so the 2.2 dist was the
first one I looked at...

> Of course I get import errors from my code... but it sounds like this
> can be sorted fairly easily by including the right modules.
> I'm excited about the idea of being able to distribute my code with
> 'minimal distributions' (including the possibility of zipping the
> modules I use...).

Well, I guess that should work. What I missed were only a couple of
things: some os functions aren't available (like os.getcwd and os.chdir)
and I also noticed the '_random' C-module (required for random.py) isn't
there. Apart from that it seems pretty complete.

> So it's looking very good and I'm very grateful... thanks.

My pleasure (don't forget I benefit myself as well ;)... Please let me
know if you encounter any problems not mentioned in this mail, perhaps I
can improve the dist a bit.

Cheers,

Guido