[PythonCE] graphical libs for pocket pc

Voidspace mike at pcblokes.com
Wed Sep 8 11:20:07 CEST 2004

Scott Jaderholm wrote:

>I have been looking through a bit of the archive, but I haven't seen
>mention of any graphical libs. Is tkInter the only option, or are
>there others? I want to write a very big graphical application for
>Pocket PC,

On most PocketPCs I've seen - a 'big' anything is pretty out of the
question ;-)

>but I don't know if PythonCE is a viable option at this
>point since there is almost no documentation on the project website.

The documentation for PythonCE is basically the standard python
documentation. The people who port python over to the pocketPC attempt
to port as much of the CPython core and the standard libraries to
compile and run on the PocketPC as possible. The bits that work will
work exactly as documented in the python documentation. There are a
*few* differences due to differences in the underlying C libraries that
are specific to the PocketPC, e.g. raw_input doesn't work which makes
interaction with the user virtually impossible unless you use Tkinter or
something 'similar'.

PyhtonCE is a project done entirely by volunteers who don't owe us
'users' anything. AFAIK the entire core python language works fine -
including a large proportion of the standard libraries (many of which
are in python anyway). However exactly *which* standard libraries work
and which don't can only be determiend by testing... and as you can
imagine those who port python don't have time to extensively test and
fix every library........ They've done a very good job on the core
language however..... (and I use it regularly)

Which brings us to Tk/Tkinter.
In actual fact Tk is not a python graphics library - it's a Tcl library.
The python library is called Tkinter. This is relevant (rather than a
pernickity detail) because it tells you where you need to go for
documentation.

There is a PythonCE port of Tkinter (the python library). This allows
python to use the PocketPC version of Tk/Tcl... which is incomplete so
far (no menus on the last version I used but lots of other bits working
fine). All Tkinter is, is an interface layer between python and the Tk
stuff. To know which bits of Tk work on the PocketPC version you'll need
to find the Pocket Tk/Tcl project (on sourceforge I think) and see how
far they've got.

As for other alternatives...... wxWidgets had people working on a
pocketPC port - I don't know how far that's got. Even if a decent
amount  of that is completed... I don't know how complicated the python
wrapper library (wxPython) is - there would probably be quite a lot of
work in getting it working, but it would be well worthwhile.

AFAIK the other alternative is creating wrappers to the microsoft GUI...
it means compiling a python extension that communicates with the
necessary libraries.
There has been intersting talk in this group recently on compiling for
the PocketPC.... something  I'd like to learn - but don't yet know
anything about !!!

This is all certified to be as accurate as my memory and
understanding.......

Regards,

Fuzzy

>Has anyone written PocketPC apps w/ python? Any screenshots?
>
>Thanks,

http://www.Voidspace.org.uk
The Place where headspace meets cyberspace. Online resource site - covering science, technology, computing, cyberpunk, psychology, spirituality, fiction and more.

---
http://www.Voidspace.org.uk/atlantibots/pythonutils.html
Python utilities, modules and apps.
Including Nanagram, Dirwatcher and more.
---
http://www.fuchsiashockz.co.uk