[PythonCE] Current status of PythonCE ?

Giovanni Petrucciani gpetruc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 13:47:16 CET 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to write python programs for my PoketPC 2003 handeld (Acer
n50).
I've tried the 2.3.4-arm release of PythonCE, and it works very well for
what matters the core python
I've also tried the wx_pyce that I found somewhere on the web (the one
that uses wxwin2.5.2),
and it works almost well, even if it is lacking in some points

I still have some questions:
 - Are there any other, newer, versions of PyhonCE ? it the project
still active ?
 - Tinkerer works, but I can't use Tix, it does not work, is complaining
about missing libraries;
    in particular it looks like it wants some dll which I don't have.
    Did anyone manage to use Tix ? or to compile it ? (I read that I
have to compile the full TCL, and I'm
    not very practical with EVC++, so I don't think I could manage to to it)
- WX: I wanted to build a more complete wxwin for Python, as space is
not an issue (you can keep the dll
    in your python dir on a SD-MMC card, it works for wxwin252)
    I have donwloaded the wxWin (2.6.2) and the wxPython (2.6.1.0)
sources; I didn't manage to compile
    wxPython, just wxWin (EVC complains about the project files in
wxPython).
    Anyway just replacing the 2.5.2 dll  with the 2.6.2 one does not
work, nor it does if I copy the wx and
    wxPython folders from the win32 version I have on my laptop (that I
installed from binary packages)
 - XML: did anyone manage to get 4Suite running on PocketPC ?
    I've found a PyXML for CE, but not 4Suite (which, for what I read,
should be better).
 - SQLite: I managed to compile sqlite 3 dll for PocketPC (or, actually,
for WinCE), but I can't compile
    PySQLite to use them from Python... any suggestions ? did anyone
manage to do it ?

Thanks a lot, even if it has some problems PythonCE is great !

          Giovanni