[PythonCE] more on screen resolution

Stewart Midwinter stewart.midwinter at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 06:24:08 CET 2005

I'm using a Toshiba e830, which has a VGA screen, and I've installed
the VGA version of python.exe, but after creating the screenTuner.py
app for Miles, I was surprised to find my screen resolution was set to
240x320.  What to do about that?

Well, there are utilities like SE_VGA and OzVGA that force your PDA
into VGA mode, but not apps respond well to that: low-res apps end up
taking up just 1/4 of the screen!  What is needed is an app-by-app
approach. Well, I found one.

There's a freeware app called ForceHiRes available from a Japanese
developer at :
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/2039/

the page is in Japanese, but you should be able to find the download
link. Install, run, and add python to the list of hi-res apps. After I
did so, now my screenTuner.py app reports a screen resolution of
480x640, which gives me a whole lot room in which to place widgets!

Couple of other apps on that page worth mentioning: FileDialogChanger,
an improved file dialog, and Screen Rotate, which on each invocation
will rotate your screen another 90° clockwise. I put an icon to it on
my Home screen app launcher.

cheers,
--
Stewart Midwinter