[PythonCE] Re: Newbie questions

Brad Clements bkc at murkworks.com
Sat Jan 8 16:38:32 CET 2005

On 8 Jan 2005 at 15:13, Francesco Bochicchio wrote:

> - Is 2.2 the latest python version available for Win[CE/Mobile]?

No, version 2.3.4 is currently available from the pythonce project on
sourceforge.

Also see http://fore.validus.com/~kashtan/

> - Where I can find small programs in pythonCE? (I know python
>   quite well, but not much of win32 modules, which I gathered are
>   the best (only?) choice to interact with the handheld
>   environment).

I'm not sure where to find other small programs as examples. You might
check this list's archives.

Apparently there is also tk available for PPC now. There's been a lot of
recent activity on this list about tk and IDLE, check the archive for this
week.

> - What is the difference between PPC and HPC? (The terms
>   are widely used in the PythonCE wiki, but I could not find any
>   explanations)

HPC is the hand-held PC form factor. PPC is the Pocket PC form factor. HPC
devices have a physical keyboard, whereas PPC devices have a virtual
on-screen keyboard. Note, however, that this is changing with some Windows
Mobile smartphones now having slide-out keyboards. Benq P50 recently
mentioned on Engadget site, and I think the Siemens SX66 and others have
slide out keyboards.

Typically older HPC devices run Windows CE 1.0, 2.1. Newer ones run CE
3.0. The HPC devices have a start bar at the bottom of the screen.

PPC Devices, like the original iPaQ, run the Pocket PC 2000, 2002 and 2003
OS. Newer PPC devices run Windows Smartphone and Windows Mobile.

There was also a PSPC (Palm Size PC) which runs Palm OS (like the Philips
Nino)

> - Is there any other free cross-development tool for my handheld
>   (I'm specially interested in C/C++ cross-compilers).

http://msdn.microsoft.com has a whole section devoted to "Windows Mobile"
and "Windows Embedded" Development tools, including free downloads of the
embedded C++ tools and SDKs for various platforms. All of these tools run
on Windows, of course. They also include emulators..

--
Brad Clements,                bkc at murkworks.com   (315)268-1000
http://www.wecanstopspam.org/                   AOL-IM: BKClements