[PythonCE] Seeking alternative to wxPython

Brad Clements bkc at murkworks.com
Tue Aug 22 15:49:59 CEST 2006

On 21 Aug 2006 at 17:05, jeffbarish wrote:

> It looks as if the best documentation for Pythonwin is the book by
> Mark Hammond and Andy Robinson, but I note that it was published over
> 6 years ago.  Is it still sufficiently current to be useful?

Yes

> Does Python Programming
> on WIN32 do an adequate job of explaining how to build GUIs using
> win32gui, or do I need documentation for the relevant portion of MFC
> as well?

I think it does a good job on basic windows and stuff. The nice thing of course is
that you can test it on XP or something before trying it on CE.

The only issue I recall is that some of the more advanced common controls don't
exist on the CE platform.

Another  suggestion.. I think that ctypes was ported to Windows CE.. There's a
package out there called Venster

http://venster.sourceforge.net/htdocs/index.html

It makes windows gui programming very easy. It doesn't use win32gui at all, but
instead uses ctypes directly.

You should be able to get venster to work on CE if ctypes works there.

You may have to do some tweaking, but venster really makes windows easy.

--
Brad Clements,                bkc at murkworks.com    (315)268-1000
http://www.murkworks.com