[PythonCE] Running Python program without getting Python CE window

Jeffrey Barish jeff_barish at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 2 03:35:05 CET 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeffrey Barish" <jeff_barish at earthlink.net>
To: <pythonce at python.org>
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 11:08 AM
Subject: [PythonCE] Running Python program without getting Python CE window

> > Whenever I run a Python application, I get a window titled "Python CE"
that
> > seems to capture stdout.  Is it called the console?  I would like to run
my
> > application without getting that window.  I had the impression that this
> > window would not appear if I ran the application using pythonw.  To that
> > end,  I changed the first line of my application to
> >
> > #! /usr/bin/env pythonw
> >
> > (instead of /usr/bin/env/python).  Changing this line has no effect in
> > either CE or XP.  What is the correct procedure?
>
> As somebody else mentioned, that is a Unix-specific feature. In Windows XP
> you can rename the file to .pyw to run it automatically with pythonw.exe. On
> Windows CE there is no standard way but this might help:
>
> python /nopcceshell program.py
>
> Luke

Forgive my continued ignorance.  Changing the extension works fine in XP to
suppress the console window, but I don't understand how to enter the command
you suggested in CE.  Did you find a console for CE that permits you to type
in commands?  Does CE come with one (that I have been unable to locate)?

I also posted a related question last week, but I never saw my message in the
digest (which happens frequently).  I am also wondering what the procedure is
for attaching an icon to my application so that I can run the application by
tapping the icon?  And, to be precise, what I would like is to run my Python
program in such a way that the console window does not appear.  Perhaps
tapping the icon would run the command that you suggested above.
--
Jeffrey Barish