[PythonCE] General questions

Frédéric Mantegazza frederic.mantegazza at gbiloba.org
Sun Oct 21 09:07:59 CEST 2007

On samedi 20 octobre 2007, Christopher Fairbairn wrote:

> I typically develop on my desktop PC and transfer the scripts for
> testing to the PDA. Many of my scripts are usable on both platforms
> so I find it easier to test and debug on my desktop before
> transferring to the PDA.
>
> Sometimes I use the remote-console project available from http://
> ctypes-stuff.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/wince/remote-console/ to avoid
> the manual download step. Basically this allows you to run a script
> on your desktop (console.py) and it will give you the main PythonCE
> interpreter interface on your desktop PCs terminal window, executing
> the code directly on your PDA etc. It's useful for debugging small
> snippets of code.
>
> A range of tools that allow you to create programs directly on your
> PDA are listed on the PythonCE wiki at http://
> pythonce.sourceforge.net/Wikka/Tools

I'll have a look at the wiki (I didn't it see before).

> The existing versions available for download from the Sourceforge
> downloads page (especially the python-smartphone release) should work
> on any Pocket PC 2003 or above device (i.e. 2003, 2003 Second
> Edition, Windows Mobile 5.0 or Windows Mobile 6 based). It should
> also work on Smartphone devices running a similar range of operating
> systems (in case you didn't know, Microsoft has two slightly
> different variants of it's PDA OS, one for Pocket PC PDAs, and
> another for Smartphone devices which lack a touch-screen).

I'm only interested in simple PDE...

> From my experience it is becoming harder to find devices with
> physical RS232 serial ports. Bluetooth seems to be much more
> universally available these days if using a bluetooth dongle or
> adapter for your display unit is an option.

I was afraid by this answer... The problem with bluetooth and other
wireless solutions is they need more power, reducing time between
charging. What about USB master? I read that ACER n30 has such bus. Are
there other PDA having one? Is it possible to access it from PythonCE?

> Hope this helps,

Yes, thank you very much :o)

--
   Frédéric