[PythonCE] SOLVED -- (was: Re: PythonCE on Windows CE 6.0)

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 11:25:56 CEST 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Lachezar Dobrev <l.dobrev at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I have used with some success lcab and cabextract (both under Linux).
>  However you should know, that the real culprit is the PYTHON~1.000
> file, that is a binary result from the _setup.xml «compilation». That
> is, you need to fix that file AND _setup.xml, and then recombine the
> files (THE ORDER IS RELEVANT) into a new .CAB file.
>
>  Consider reading http://www.cabextract.org.uk/wince_cab_format/
>
>  I was able to «fix» the 000 file and the setup.xml, and ended up
> with an installable .CAB file, but after installing it simply did not
> work (the .exe has icon, but fails to start).

Thanks Lachezar. I was almost afraid that I'd have to adopt that route, but
I found a rather easy shortcut.

All I had to do was to use the trial version (30 day trial) of *WinCE CAB
Manager* <http://www.ocpsoftware.com/products.php>
and set the --

ProcessorType = ALL (it was originally set to Strong-Arm / XScale, id=2577)
Maximum OS Version = 6.99 (it was originally set to 5.99). Apparently, it is
fine to change all these versions to 0.0 as well.

Save the CAB file, and installed it in WinCE6.0 machine, and it was all
fine. In fact I have the Python2.5 shell running on this device, as
expected, at the moment.

Unfortunately, the WinCE installer removes the .CAB file after successful
installation, but if someone's interested, I could recreate the .CAB.

Wondering if the owners of thie PythonCE project would like to archive this
.CAB file, especially under the category being compatible with WinCE 6.0 !!

regards,
Banibrata
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bdutta
http://twitter.com/edgeliving